dialing an internet provider

Hi all,
   I'm having troubles figuring out how to connect to my provider.  Maybe someone can
help me out?
  I've tried "pon", my computer trys to connect, but the other end hangs up (I guess.
pon dosn't give me any info as to what is going on).  I've tried wvdial, and it almost
works.  It dials up good, enters my sign on name and password ok, sits at the prompt
for a moment and then tells me "Don't know what to do.  Starting pppd & hopeing for
the best!"  Then after a few seconds I get "PPP Dameon has died! (exit code 1)" and
"disconnecting..."  Unfortunately NONE of my help files are working on my system yet.
???
Tim