Re: debian newbie seeks help

"rod peters" <petersr@uniserve.com> writes:

> Now I am worse off before.  I don't know how to talk to
> linux.  At all.  I can do a few commands, cd, df, dir, and other simple
> stuf.  I don't know, however, how to run programs.

You just type their name at the shell prompt. 'df' and 'ls' are programs.

Did you install any packages using dselect? That is how you get
programs that actually do anyting interesting.

> How do I know what type of extension is an exe. file?

Unix does not encode the information that a file is a program in the
name of the file. It is a special flag that is set, akin to the
'attributes' of DOS file systems.

If you look at the file with the '-l' flag to 'ls' (that is, type
'ls -l filename' or just 'ls -l' at the prompt), the first columns
show an encoded version of the flags (they're called permission
bits) for the file. You might see, e.g.

-rw-r--r--   1 makholm    user          3371 Jan 26 21:40 README
-rwxr-xr-x   1 makholm    user         33896 Jan  6 17:31 configure

The `x'es in the permission bits for `configure' tells that it is
a file that can be run as a program.

No thanks.

--
Henning Makholm