[HOWTO?] Configure ircd and get it running...

Hi,

I just finished installing the ircd package.  I want to run an irc
server for my intranet (my machine is inside the firewall).  I poked
around /usr/doc/ircd and was unable to find out how exactly to configure
ircd.  I made some cursory changes in /etc/ircd/ircd.*

1. From the little that I have read I understand that
/usr/lib/ircd/bin/dancer is ideal for me.  Is this correct?

2. At the moment ircd is started off /etc/inet.d  I want to start it as
a daemon.  How?

3. What are the things that I *must do* before running my server?

Thanks.

S.
--
"I'm not a bad guy.  I work hard, and I love my kids.  So why should
    I spend half my Sunday hearing about how I'm going to hell?"