RE: setting up Linux

Yes, you can run your current drive as a slave drive - but you need to be
sure to install the driver for that when you are doing the installation
process (during "Device Drivers" installation).

It is commonly recommended that you use separate partitions for various
parts of your linux system. The following suggestions might be a starting
place:
	/	200 MB
	/usr	2.0 GB
	/home	2.0 GB
	swap	<same amt as RAM>

Since a drive can only have up to 4 primary partitions, I would make 2
primaries and then several logical partitions. The first primary (hda1)
could be windows, the second primary (hda2) could be linux root (/), and
then the logical partitions could be used for everything else. I would
also recommend at least one spare partition, just in case you need it
later.

You're right about using something like a batch file in linux to dual
boot -- the name of the program that handles this is LILO, and the
configuration file is /etc/lilo.conf which you will simply edit as wished
and then, from the command line, you type lilo to install the
configuration.

Well, those are some first steps. Best wishes!

shawn_harrison@tyndale.com