Re: LILO and two disks...

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, John Carter wrote:

> Greetings Debians,
>
> I have got LILO up an working on 3 different PC's no problem.
>
> But this one gets me totally bamfoozled....
>
> Its quite simple. The guy has two hardisks in his PC. The PC is brand
> new with latest and greatest bios that knows about LBA etc.
>
> WinNT is on /dev/hda1, Linux is on /dev/hdc3.
>
> I install lilo with any and every lilo.conf concievable (including the
> one attached below), I reboot and it just comes back and says "L".
>
> Any working examples of lilo.conf files for systems with two disks and
> linux on the second drive would be most welcome.
	You know I've had the same problem for 2 years now.  I've never
found a way around it.  What kind of motherboard are you using?  Or in
particular what kind of IDE chipset do you have.  I've found this problem
to only happen when I have 2 IDE disks in.  Currently I have 3 SCSI
drives and 1 IDE.  The 'L' problem only happens when I install another
IDE drive as hd[bcd].  I tried the FreeBSD bootloader and it worked fine
so I know it's some sort of LILO problem.  Over the years I've tried every
imaginable LILO config that I could think of.  If you come across any
solution I would love to hear about it.

Mike Wood