Self referencing

I had a similar problem with RedHat.  All I want to do is upgrade my
glibc to a stable version.  My machine will not run netscape at all nor
applix reliably.

Everything for both Debian and Red Hat seems self referencing.  How do I
start using debian packages?... install the package dpkg.  How do I
install that?  I did get the source, but it needs to have autoconf run
(which keeps failing on my machine, probably indirectly related to my
scrambled libs).

Rebuilding my system is not an option.  Most GNU tar balls and kaffe run
just fine, but I _need_ Netscape and Applix.

Any ideas.  Thanks for responses.
(I am not on the list, so please respond via email.)
Joe
batt@globalsite.net