Re: Alternatives to run-parts ?

Quoting Paolo Pedaletti (paolop@mmpoint.it):

-8<-----------
-8<-----------

> I prefer a script rather then a binary file, if they can do the same
> things...
>
> The reason of this is that if I don't want execute a script-file during the
> cron time (daily/weekly/montly) I simply do:
> chmod -x script-file
> but cron (using run-parts) tell me:
>
> /etc/cron.daily/leafnode:
> run-parts: failed to exec /etc/cron.daily/leafnode: Permission denied
> run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/leafnode exited with return code 1
[snip]
> Right! Because all this scripts are no more executable, but still exist in
> that directory:
>
> /etc/cron.daily# dir
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root          277 mag 14  1998 0anacron*
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         2307 ago 14 14:20 apache*
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root          449 gen 13 00:09 calendar*
> -rw-r--r--   1 root     root          421 dic 18 21:56 leafnode
[snip]
> Do I wrong something/somewhere?

>From man run-parts:

       run-parts runs a number of scripts or programs found in  a
       single  directory  directory.   Filenames  should  consist
       entirely of upper and lower case letters,  digits,  under­
       scores,  and  hyphens.   Subdirectories  of  directory and
       files with other names will be silently ignored.

So either create a subdirectory called, say, suspended and move them
there, or type mv -i leafnode leafnode.suspended and run-parts will
ignore them.

Cheers,