Re: More Admin Questions

On Mon, Jan 25, 1999 at 10:03:22AM -0600, Dan Furtney wrote this:

> I installed the smail package and related files. How can I be sure
> this is being used and not sendmail? Also when I su to root from a
> user account and try to run an X program I get the following message:

If you didn't force the install sendmail should have been uninstalled at
the same time you installed smail. The dependencies shouldn't allow two
different MTA's to be installed at the same time. You could always check
weather sendmail or smail is running in the background.

> Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
>
> Initialization error: X server not responding
> : ":0.0"

The user that started X is the one that normally can start programs on
it. You can always allow root to start programs even tho another user
has started X by copying the file .Xauthority from that users directory
to roots homedir or simply make a symlink (which ofcourse would be the
better way).

Good luck!

// Marwin

--
| Björn Elwhagen aka Marwin             Finger marwin@arwen.mumin.nu |
| Student at Wexio University           for PGP public key.          |