SOLVED: Re: No Password for Root

     Brandon, that's it!  I had noticed the same lack of the _x_
in the /etc/passwd file.  After putting one in and rebooting,
voila!  It's fixed.  Thank you.  And BTW, /etc/shadow was all
there.  As for the missing _x_, I have no idea where it went, and
I did not remove it manually.

     Wow!   What a lesson on this system...learned alot.  Thank all
of you for your replies, because each reply taught us something.

Art