Re: Star Office 3.1 install problem

On Fri, Jan 22, 1999 at 01:59:09PM +0000, dennisco@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> I'm running the XF86_SVGA X server under Debian 2.0.
>
> I downloaded Staroffice31-common.tar.gz, StarOffice31-english.tar.gz and
> StarOffice31-statbin.tar.gz to /usr/local.  When untarred they installed
> to /usr/local/StarOffice-3.1.  When I try to run ./setup (X or not X) I
> get:
>
> StarOffice3.1 Installation Tool
> Segmentation fault
>
> Will someone tell me what additional steps I need to take to install
> this package? Thanks.
>
> Dennis Cousins
> Miccosukee, Florida
>

> --

I had the same thing happen and could never figure out what went wrong, but
in the course of my looking I realized that the current version of
staroffice is not 3.1, but 5.0.  It's on sunsite somewhere and installed
cleanly for me.

However, 5.0 seemed to me a little on the bloatware side; I also realized
that most of the typesetting part of my wordprocessing for school could be
done very nicely with TeX (or LaTeX) with about five typesetting commands in
a document of any given size.  So I wound up not using it after all the
effor I went through to get it.  Good thing it was free.

Rob

--
Truth is the most valuable thing we have -- so let us economize it.
		-- Mark Twain