Re: Installation hangs (and other problems)

Here's some further info I got, apparently from Andrew Martin Adrian Cater
<amacater@galactic>, along with some questions/comments by me.  Since the
return address didn't work, I'm hoping he will catch it here.  (Also, I'm
trying another address).

Just so it doesn't get buried, the highlight is "don't do a direct install
of xfree86 using the graphical tools from the CheapBytes CDs."

[I wrote, in response to his reply...]
Thanks for some really useful info.  I have a couple of questions, and a
comment.

On handling the multiple CD's, you [Andrew]  write
>Load the first CD: take what you can from it, then load what CheapBytes calls
>"extras". A lot of work has gone into fixing this for the next release: in
>the interim, take the CD's individually.
The point I ran into trouble was where it asked for the path to the root
(e.g., .../stable).
Whichever CD I put in, it won't find everything, right?  Or were you
suggesting entering "none" for that (as I did) and then swapping CD's when
prompted for the individual component directories?
Or, on the third hand, are you suggesting making 3 independent passes
through the whole dselect routine?

Is the fixing you refer to in Debian, or the CheapBytes distribution?  Or
is it that Debian needs a new option to handle archives split across CD's?

I thought copying all 3 CDs to disk would get around the problem, but
apparently the symbolic links make a copy occupy far more than 650Mg.  So I
gave up.

The comment: I'm trying to minimize /, so I need other partitions for all
else.  The way the installation goes, it seems to require separate
partitions for each mount point (/usr, /home, /var) to avoid having them
dumped onto the root partition.  I know I could have just one extra
partition and use symlinks, but I don't know if the installation scripts
would go for it.

One more question: The graphical xfree is broken on Cheapbytes because they
have a bad or dated copy?  because it doesn't run from a CD?  some other
reason?