Re: DeskJet 870

I am writing this off the top of my head, without digging up any more
specific information. If you want more information, please contact me and I
will dig around in the next day or two, and perhaps even go to the trouble
of getting the set up right.

In the ftp archive, in project/experimental is a gs-aladdin 5.10 with a
deskjet 850 driver.  The deskjet 850 driver is not part of the official
ghostscript distribution, but has been around awhile.  I set up at one time
several different virtual printers based on this filter, with various
parameters such as gamma, quality, etc..

The following is from the readme with that gs-aladdin package:

>    The driver _must_ be invoked with the following switches:
>       gs -r600 -dBitsPerPixel=32 (see the provided cmd-files as examples)
>   Furthermore, the driver supports the following switches:
>
>           -dPapertype= 0  plain paper [default]
>                     1  bond paper
>                     2  special paper
>                     3  glossy film
>                     4  transparency film>
>           -dQuality=  -1 draft        no> recommended
>                        0 normal       no> recommended
>                        1 presentation [d>fault]>
>           -dRetStatus= 0 C-RET of>
>                        1 C-RET on>[default]>
>           -dMasterGamma= 3.>
>                         [de>ault = 1.0]>
>       __Note__: To take advantage of th> calibrated color-transfer
>       functions, be sure not to have an> Gamma-Statements
>       left! If you need to (i.e. overhe>d sheets),
>       you still can use th>
>       gamma-functions, but>they will
>       override the built-i> calibration. To use gamma in the
>       traditional way, set>MasterGamma to any value greater
>       1.0 and less 10.0. T> adjust
>       individual gamma-val>es,
>       you have to addition>lly set MasterGamma to a value
>       greater 1.0 and less>10.0
>
>       With the next release, gamma functions will be dropped.
>   When using the driver, be aware that printing in 600dpi involves
>  processing of large amounts of data (> 188MB !). Therefore, the
>  driver is not what you would expect to be a fast driver ;-)>>

It was only necessary to modify a magicfilter filter, such as one of the
ones that was mentioned.  Only the line with ghostscript needed to be
modified; the readme files  with this version of ghostscript explain all
this pretty well.  There is also a web page about this driver.

                http://bonk.ethz.ch

The driver was developed by Uli Wortmann.

I managed to get into  contact with an HP engineer at one point.  He stated
that since M$ owns the code, even HP engineers using workstations do not
have utilities for this printer, that they ran windows if they wanted to
align the jets, clean them, or whatever.  I am diappointed.  It's a great
printer.

Separately, I think it is going to be necessary to tweak the TeX setup for
metafont to get the (excellent) black and white printing worked out.  I
haven't had time in the year and a half I've been using the printer.
Perhaps soon.  The printer does black text ok, and tolerable color, using
the cdj550 filter of ghostscript, but not at the printer's limits.

Alan Davis

--
Alan E. Davis                       Marianas High School (Science Department)

AAA196, Box 10001    adavis@netpci.com   http://www.saipan.netpci.com/~adavis

Saipan, MP  96950    15.16oN 145.7oE    GMT+10       Northern Mariana Islands