Re: xdm

On Fri, Jan 22, 1999 at 12:39:48PM -0600, Brian Morgan wrote:
> I can't seem to find any file in /etc/X11 that has a line with "start-xdm"
> in it.  X (and hence, xdm) is starting on boot.  Is there a way to change
> that?  All I've done to make this happen was install the xdm package.  Also,
> is there any way to quit the xserver while using xdm without it
> automatically bringing back the xdm login screen (and hence starting X
> again)?

If you're running slink, the file you want is /etc/X11/xdm/xdm.options.

man xdm.options

for more information about this file.

Note that the "start-xdm" option has been eliminated.  It is assumed that
if you install the xdm package, you want it to run.  So if you want it to
not start a local X server, edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers per my other mail.

And yes, there is a way to quit the X server while using xdm without it
automatically bringing back the xdm login screen.

<CTRL-R>

This instructs xdm to stop managing that server, and is documented in
the xdm manpage, though admittedly it's pretty far in.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |    Convictions are more dangerous enemies
Debian GNU/Linux                 |    of truth than lies.