Re: DB2 progress

On Fri, Jan 22, 1999 at 03:38:06PM +1100, Colin McCormack wrote:

> > > Here's what I have so far:
> > >
> > > I created a /bin/rpm file as follows:
> > > #!/bin/sh
> > >
> > > alien --to-deb -i $2
>
> > rpm2deb for DB2 installations are not a good idea since it does a whole bunch ofstuff at the end like addusers and updates database configuration. Best thing to do would be to install a small redhat partition, install DB2, tar it up, copy the log and untar the db2 and run the commands at the end on debian.
>
> Doesn't alien run the post installation instructions in the rpm?
> The hack I'm suggesting makes the db2inst process think it's running rpm, but if alien doesn't perform internal rpm commands, and IBM's put such things into the rpms, I guess that would cause some problems.
>
> Don't see why alien wouldn't do this, though.
>
> Colin.

My thinking is that these are not the part of RPM, but a part of the script that installs the rpms. In that case, the post-inst scripts would work fine, but the commnads to run after the rpm installs would not work. I am planning to try a hack.. I am going to convert the scripts to deb, convert them back to RPM and use the DB2 installer to see if they work..