Re: Lilo corrupted double-spaced Win95 drive

Hi,

On Thu, 21 Jan, 1999 à 01:46:03PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> This isn't exactly a Debian question, but maybe you can help.
[snip]
> So I went back and reconfigured lilo.conf so that one or two of the lines
> that were referring to hdb1 now referred to hda1. (I don't have the
                                              ^^^^
No !!! You should have put hda, not hda1 for boot.

> Upon reboot, lilo came up and gave me my options of linux or Win95, and
> linux starts just fine. Win95 however does a repeating "Loading Windows,
> LILO, Loading Windows, LILO ....".

It's what you've asked in lilo.conf :
the windows option in it ask to load the boot sector of /dev/hda1 so lilo
load it an execute it. But it contains lilo...

> Does anyone know how I can recover my Win95 partition so my family can have
> their toy back?

boot linux, look in /boot. If you have the file boot.0301 do as follow :
dd if=/boot/boot.0301 of=/dev/hda1 bs=1b count=1 (or lilo -u should do the
same effect)
edit lilo.conf so as to have boot=/dev/hda instead of /dev/hda1
rerun lilo
reboot. should work

If you don't kept /boot/boot.301 I do not know a definitive way of restoring
wintendo. You could try this : boot from a floppy and try sys c: but please
try this as a last resort because it could wrac havoc your win1895 partition

> Thanks.

HTH

--
 ( >-   Laurent PICOULEAU                                      -< )
 /~\       lcrpic@a2points.com                                  /~\