Re: qpopper && quota

In article <cistron.36A78A19.23B26F15@bdsinc.com>,
Jens B. Jorgensen <jjorgens@bdsinc.com> wrote:
>Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>> >       3. Is there some other pop server that behaves different?
>>
>> No, unless you move to maildir format, which isn't supported
>> by most of the debian mailers and none of the pop servers.
>
>None of the pop servers? qmail-pop3d (which comes with qmail-src) works great for me.

It's not something which is officially in Debian. There is a good
patch for pine which includes the imap changes needed. Since ipop3d
and imapd are in Debian, we could apply that patch to imap and
we'd have POP3 and IMAP daemons with maildir support.

>> Perhaps we could fix this in potato. I'm getting the experience
>> nessecary for this since I am moving the whole mailspool of
>> our ISP over to maildir format in the next few days.
>
>Yes. Wouldn't it be nice if everything used maildir?

Yep. One of the things I've developed in-house but which I could
slap the GPL on is a local Mail Delivery Agent that can deliver
mail to both old-style mbox files and new-style maildir.

I know procmail can do this too, but I think the code is too much
spaghetti-like and I don't want to run procmail setuid on my system.

I do think however that we should deliver in /var/spool/mail, not
in ~/Maildir. If someone filled his homedir with a ftp download
and is over quota that should not cause his email to be bounced.

>Then you could actually manipulate your own mail with shell scripts. I
>believe debian should switch over complete! If you check out the qmail
>site there are patches to all kinds of programs to add support. Besides,
>adding support for maildirs should be cake (unless you're working with
>particularly hard to read/follow code) because deleting a message is
>simply an unlink() call and marking a message as read is as simple as
>a rename() call.  What could be easier? Perhaps we need to lead the
>charge to get everyone to use maildirs.

No, I think all programs should support BOTH Maildir and old-style
mboxes for interoperatibility with other systems. That way we
can have the best of both worlds, have our cake and eat it too, etc . ;)

Mike.
--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?