Re: configuring X

In a message dated 1/21/99 3:05:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bmorgan@greenville.edu writes:

> I'm trying to get X up and running on a laptop, but I don't know the specs
>  for the video.  I do know that it's capable of running 800x600 in 16bit
>  color (not sure about refresh rate).  Isn't there a simpler way than
running
>  the xf86config script to setup the Xserver?  I seem to remember something
>  that detected all that for you.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Could someone help me
out
>  here?

Sorry, but there really isn't an easier way to configure X servers - this is
part of it's power/confusion.  You need to tell the server what your screen
configuration is - it can't deduce it whatsoever.

However, there are places to get this information.  There are several websites
that may have it (do a search on monitor specs on your favorite search
engine).  Also, knowing what type of laptop you have will help.

If you run Win95 - you can dig in it's files and find some clues - I ended up
doing it this way myself..  it takes some work but if that's your last
resort...

Good luck!
Jay