modem overflow and wierd ppp stuff

Hi,
When I turn my computer on or reboot it, I get lots of buffer overflow
at ttyS3 messages.
My modem is crrectly identified at startup by setserial and that as a
16550A. I know this is correct because win95 also identifies it as
having some sort of FIFO.
If I want to use ppp, (with pon) it just hangs there, unles I run pppd,
wait for all the rubbish to diappear, then run pon.
After I have run pppd and waited the overflow messages never return.

Also, when I want to use one of the 2.2.0-pre series of kernels, ppp
will not work at all. (It claims that the kernel is not configured with
ppp support, which is wrong, because I built it with ppp support
enabled)

Any ideas?
Frankie

--
Confession is good for the soul only in the sense that a tweed coat is
good

	--Peter de Vries

http://www.skunkpussy.freeserve.co.uk - Drum'n'Bass music, samples and
links.