Re: dualboot linux and NT?

On 19 Jan 1999, Frederick Page wrote:

> you wrote on: 18 Jan 99 at 15:30 (received 19.01.99)
> about       : _Re: dualboot linux and NT?_
>
> >WinNT can not boot directly from a slave disk, as far as I know.
>
> Well, it *can* boot from any disk and any partition, no matter what.
>
> >It needs to have it's boot files on the active partition on the master
> >drive.
>
> That's exactly the problem, you need to have a FAT16-partition within the
> first 1024 cylinders of the first harddrive. The so-called C: (speaking in
> DOS-/Win-terms).

This is clearly not true.  I have a dual boot configuration on my Dell
Inspiron with one IDE harddrive configured as follows:

  MBR           lilo
  partition-1   Windows-NT, 4.0-service pack 4, NTFS
  partition-2   FAT32, pagefile.sys, only used for virtual memory
  partition-3   Debian, ext2
  partition     Remaining Debian filesystems

Works fine.

--
Jean Pierre