Re: gcc vs egcs

Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> writes:
> On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, fantumn (Steven Baker) wrote:

> > First, was wondering _what_ the differences between gcc and egcs were.

> It is mostly a matter of version

Somewhere in /usr/doc/gcc (sorry, don't remember exactly where) I
found a recommendation about not to try to share object code between
egcs and gcc.

Now, I understand that this is good advice as regards C++ interfaces,
but it is true that I shouldn't link .o's from eg++ with .o's from
gcc, where the latter ones use purely C interfaces?

Aren't C calling conventions and C struct layouts, etc. supposed
to remain stable across compilers for the same architecture?

--
Henning Makholm
http://www.diku.dk/students/makholm