Re: gcc vs egcs

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> Debian uses eg++ for our g++ because 2.7 is effectively useless (it
> encourages code that will not work on other C++ compilers) and we use 2.7
> for our gcc because nobody has patched the 2.0 kernels to work with
> another gcc. Effectively 2.7.* is dead and all development is focused on
> egcs - apparently the gcc people will take code from egcs to create the
> next gcc releases or something.

What "egcs" means?
gcc is for GNU C Compiler, egcc is for GNU (egcs) C Compiler. But, does
the "g" from "egcs" come from "GNU" ?
If both gcc and egcs are developed by GNU, why they are missynchronized
(sorry for the recursive misspelling) ?

Should I install egcs-doc and read the docs?

--
Conrado Badenas (Assistant Lecturer)
Department of Thermodynamics. University of Valencia