Re: NFS and Solaris 2.5

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Matt Delaney wrote:

> I am running a Debian 2.0 on a i686. It functions as an NFS server to
> a number of other Debian i686 machines and a SPARC Solaris 2.5 machine.
> I think the SPARC is crashing the nfsd on the Debian server and it
> typically occurs when I copy very large files to the NFS FS from a
> local FS on the SPARC machine. Usually the situation can be solved by
> restarting /etc/init/netstd_nfs.
>
> I have been in contact with other users who have this identical problem
> on identical machines.
>
> Typical log entries in the NFS server daemon.log:
>
> Jan 19 12:55:34 bermuda nfsd[4788]: strange write req from hawaii.ucd.ie: count
> 4294967295 len 4294967295
> Jan 19 12:56:31 bermuda nfsd[6100]: non-standard errno: 14 (Bad address)
>
> I am using the following package versions:

I've tried to use Linux as an NFS server for Solaris with mixed
results.  For READONLY it works fine.  For READ/WRITE it is unreliable
since the current Linux NFS server does not support locking.

You may want to investigate the new 2.2.pre NFS since it now claims to
support locking.  Unfortunately, last I saw only client support was
provided.

--
Jean Pierre