Re: rawrite for linux

Henning Makholm wrote:
> As far as I recall, the root filesystem image in the slackware
> install disks is supposed to be gzipped on the disk. It is unzipped
> into a ramdisk device at boot time, and then the ramdisk is mounted
> as /.
>
> (I don't understand exactly how this happens, like, where does
> the code that controlls this process come from when there is no
> file system yet?)

The root disk is written to and read from the raw floppy device, so no
file system is involved reading it.  All of the ramdisk code is in the
kernel (if you choose to compile it in, that is).

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032