Re: Debian/Caldera/RedHat

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Bob Nielsen wrote:

> Well, I haven't used Caldera, but I feel (unlike some) that Debian is MORE
> user-friendly than Red Hat.  The dselect method of package selection is a
> bit cumbersome, but only because of increasingly large number of packages
> available.

I agree... after using it for some time, I think that dpkg and dselect are
great. The big number of packages isn't so big problem, because it is
quite easy to search for a certain package. dselect is at least as
user-friendly as glint (RH-method)... Maybe some colors for different
texts visible on the screen would help reading while using dselect? Other
thing, which might be added to the information visible on the screen, is
the information about different config-files for the package and
information, where they go...?

> Debian handles dependencies much better and upgrading is much safer.

Does it? How can we make a comparision?
Some people say as well that dpkg is technically superior to rpm. What is
the base for this opinion? (I don't mean that this isn't true, but wanted
to know something about the technical difference.)
According to my experience rpm works fine as well as does dpkg. I used
some time RH and SuSE and tried just for trying's sake to install and
remove many rpm's. The only problems I had with yast (SuSE) and glint (RH)
were connected with wrong libraries (with SuSE) otherwise they worked
well. Especially 'yast' is quite clever with dependencies.

> Most of the configuration helpers are text based instead of gui, but I see
> this as a plus, since I have some boxes without X-window installed.

This is OK in my opinion.

hvirtane@cc.jyu.fi