Re: Debian/Caldera/RedHat

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Jernej Zajc wrote:

> Hello,
>
> how does Debian compare to the Caldera and RedHat distributions?
> Any comment from ppl that use/used COL and RH are most welcome:
> pros, cons, irritations, wishes.

Well, I haven't used Caldera, but I feel (unlike some) that Debian is MORE
user-friendly than Red Hat.  The dselect method of package selection is a
bit cumbersome, but only because of increasingly large number of packages
available.

Debian handles dependencies much better and upgrading is much safer.

With some patience, installation can be done with a dial-up PPP
connection.

Most of the configuration helpers are text based instead of gui, but I see
this as a plus, since I have some boxes without X-window installed.

Bob

----