Re: Quake2 & nVidia TNT

On Mon, Jan 18, 1999 at 11:30:37PM +0100, Daniel Elenius wrote:

> >They recently helped a Xfree driver come into existance, so the tide is turning.
> >

> Yes, but as we all know, it's not really open source, since the code
> is 'processed' to be unreadable. The TNT driver won't stay in future
> versions of Xfree unless they release real open source code.

NVIDIA backed down.  Unobfuscated source is in XFree86 3.3.3.1.

Excerpt from the XFree86 upstream changelog:
1278. Add the newly rewritten Riva code from NVIDIA. Fixes some bugs with
      multiple server instances running and other problems with the previous
      code. The NV1 code is unchanged. The code looks to be Open Source.
      (#2336, David Schmenk, NVIDIA).

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   "There is no gravity in space."
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   "Then how could astronauts walk around