Re: Help! X screw up

Andrew Ivanov wrote:

> Well, first of, you shoudl only play around with /etc/X11/XF86Config file
>
> Then...to get rid of xdm at startup what you need to do is
> boot into the shell
> and edit /etc/X11/config file to comment out the
> xdm-start
> line, and uncomment lines that say no-xdm-start or something.
>
> If you have no means to boot into the system, check out the previous
> message on how to get in there...it was sent less than 30 minutes ago.
>
> Commenting out xdm should stop the loading at boot.
>
> HTH,
>  Andrew

I followed the directions typing in "linux init=/bin/sh" and reached a
prompt:

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) read only.
sh: /usr/bin/check -sendfile: No such file or directory
/#

When I try to edit the file with joe I get the following error:
sh: joe: command not found

I tried unmount and got the same error.

I can switch directories but that didn't change anything.
How can I get my commands back?
Thanks,
Kent