Help! X screw up

I haven't been in windows for a while and under the circumstances, wish
I wasn't.  I was trying to make my virtual screen larger and was messing
around with FX86Config files.  One was in /etc and the other I can't
remember /lib or something.  Anyway I couldn't get anything to change so
I started putting "#"s over the lines dealing with the virtual display
and changed some of the larger sizes.  My system is set up so that I
automatically go to X to sign in.  When I boot Linux everything goes as
normal until I reach the point where X tries to load.  Then the text on
the screen starts to blink. Is there anyway I can abort X and just get a
regular console or am I hosed and have to reinstall?
Thanks,
Kent