Re: AMD-K6 Bogomips problem solved (sort of)

Mark Wagnon <mwagnon@ixpres.com> writes:

> > REMEMBER: BogoMIPS, are bogus only - they DO NOT tell you anything about
> > your processors real performance.

> Would you happen to know of any Linux benchmarking utilities that will
> measure a system's ability to perform various tasks so I and others may
> get a better indication of our system's performance?

Well, the traditional 'casual' benchmark is the time used for compiling
a kernel (with some given configuration). This is more reliable than
bogomips since it measures a real, useful, computation -- but of course
it may match more or less well your usual mixture of dependency on
cpu/disk/RAM performance.

--
Henning Makholm
http://www.diku.dk/students/makholm