Re: MAJOR Problems in dselect.

>Now here is the question.
> -How do remove all of the packages that I installed and go back
>         to the situation when only the base system is installed(to
>         basically start fresh on dselect again)?

Since you want to go back to the fresh "clean" installed state with
just the base system installed, a complete reinstall from scratch is
probably the easiest way to do it.

>There is also another problem. before I use dselect, I can mount and
>un-mount my cdrom.
>The cdrom line in the /etc/fstab looks like this:
> /dev/sbpcd  /cdrom  iso9660  noauto,ro,user
>
>And when I use dselect for the first time, at ACCESS it works when I put
>in /dev/sbpcd for device block. But after I installed the packages(alot
>of packages including the kernel-2.0.33) accidently, I CAN'T access my
>/cdrom anymore. I put in /dev/sbpcd for device block at ACCESS again it
>said can't find device block or driver is not install or something
>in that nature. I try INSTALL and it said the same.

Have you installed the correct kernel module? If you installed a
new kernel (and I see from you post that you did) then you may
not have the sbpcd module in the new kernel.

There is a utility called modconf which will add the module to your kernel.
Login as root and run modconf, the option is cdroms and the module for
spbcd is near the bottom of the list.

It is likely that the Kernel you used to install the system had support for
sbpcd drives built in, so when you installed the new kernel which has it
as a module the drive suddenly stopped working. If you reinstalled the
system it probably would have fixed the drive, but only until the next time
you upgraded the kernel.

Bye :-)