Re: 2.2.0pre7 and ppp

Shaleh wrote:

> On 18-Jan-99 Frankie wrote:
> > What steps do I have to take to ensure kernel support for ppp? (I have
> > compiled the kernel with ppp support compiled in and as modules)
> > Do I have to download a new ppp source or binary? if so where from? I am
> > using latest ppp, from slink/potato (v2.5-2 I think)
> >
> > thanks in advance for any help,
> > Frankie
> >

> Frankie, what is the problem exactly?  Are you getting "No PPP support in the
> kernel" messages?  If so the real problem is that the user is not in the

Yes I am getting no PPP support in the kernel messages.

In the documentation/networking directory in my linux source, the file
there concerning ppp suggests that I have to download a new version of
ppp, although the version of the source there seems to be older than the
one available from debian?
Should I compile this older version on the ppp source?

> dialout (or is it dip) group (who should own the tty device) or the permisssions
> some how go messed up.  Here are mine:
>
> crw-rw----   1 root     dialout    4,  64 Jul 20  1998 /dev/ttyS0
> crw-rw----   1 root     dialout    4,  65 Jul 20  1998 /dev/ttyS1
> crw-rw----   1 root     dialout    4,  66 Jul 20  1998 /dev/ttyS2

I have checked my permissions, and they are correct.

Frankie