Re: fetchmail smtp error

Hi,

 I had the same error and this is what happened:

It doesn't hurt to try and telnet localhost at port 25 to check if sendmail is working.

However, the reason for the denied permission is you have to specify that your machine is also called as localhost.

PS: I use exim and the setup question runs like this:

Please specify any other name by wich this machine is called:

Hope that helps

Regards,
Vaidhy

Matt Garman wrote:

> I'm trying to get mail from my server, and fetchmail is encountering
> some error.
>
> 161 messages (1 seen) for <my username> at students.uiuc.edu (902152 octets).
> reading message 1 of 161 (1390 header octets) .fetchmail: SMTP connect
> to localhost failed
> fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from
> students.uiuc.edu
> fetchmail: Query status=10
>
> Here's my ~/.fetchmailrc
>
> server students.uiuc.edu
> proto imap
> user <my username>
> pass <my password>
> no flush
> fetchall
> smtphost localhost
>
> I did research on this on DejaNews, and most folks said this error
> comes up when no smtp daemon is running, but I do have smail running.
> I'm guessing this has something to do with my smail not letting mail
> be delivered to my machine.  Typically, I just have mail forwarded
> from my server to my machine, and this works okay.
>
> Here's what I think will be the interesting output of fetchmail -v
> (verbose mode).
>
> fetchmail: SMTP< 220-crh3019.urh.uiuc.edu Smail-3.2.0.102 (#2
> 1998-Oct-13) ready at Mon, 18 Jan 1999 11:51:30 -0600 (EST)
> fetchmail: SMTP< 220 ESMTP supported
> fetchmail: SMTP> EHLO localhost
> fetchmail: SMTP< 550 You are not permitted to send mail
> fetchmail: SMTP< 220-crh3019.urh.uiuc.edu Smail-3.2.0.102 (#2
> 1998-Oct-13) ready at Mon, 18 Jan 1999 11:51:30 -0600 (EST)
> fetchmail: SMTP< 220 ESMTP supported
> fetchmail: SMTP> HELO localhost
> fetchmail: SMTP< 550 You are not permitted to send mail
> fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
> fetchmail: IMAP> A0007 LOGOUT
> fetchmail: IMAP< )
> fetchmail: IMAP< A0006 OK FETCH completed
> fetchmail: IMAP< * BYE datasrv2.cso.uiuc.edu IMAP4rev1 server
> terminating connection
> fetchmail: IMAP< A0007 OK LOGOUT completed
> fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from
> students.uiuc.edu
> fetchmail: Query status=10
> fetchmail: normal termination, status 10
>
> Thanks!
Alike for those who for Today prepare
And those that after a Tomorrow stare;
A Muezzin from Tower of Darkness cries,
"Fools, your reward is nether here nor there".
                          - Omar Khayyam