Tape Backup And Block Size

I too have an Exabyte 8200.  Mine works, so I mention what I do,
avoiding working with an actual blocksize.
I sent this almost verbatim to another person on December 31, 1998.
Over the years, Exabyte has sold about 1 million tape drives,
so there are many on the market used, including the 8200 which we both have.
The primary line I use is
   /sbin/dump 0uBf 2500000 /dev/nst0   /
Notice the 0 for a whole dump, the B for size 2.5MB (2500000)
You merely needed to tell it how long your tape is,
otherwise the default is old-fashioned small.

If you have a Buslogic SCSI controller, it could be incompatible with
your Exabyte tape  -- search the debian-user archives for the last couple
months, where I mention others' firmware solution.
Both Buslogic and Exabyte are giving the Linux community some help,
Exabyte through their web page.

Here is part of a script I worked up, running it weekly as a cron job.

   log_file=/usr/local/backup/rabbit-log/rabbit_`/bin/date +%b-%d-%Y_%I:%M%p`
   touch $log_file      #This allows entries below to append $logfile,
                        #so the first entry need not be unique.
   /bin/mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind

   # The total becomes greater than 2.5GB,
   # so I now backup "/mirror" on a separate tape.
   for filesystem in   \
                /  /usr  /var       \
                /home  /usr/local
   do
   if [ -z "$chunk" ];     then chunk=0;
         else chunk=`expr $chunk + 1`; fi
      echo ' '               >>$log_file   2>&1
      echo ' '               >>$log_file   2>&1
      echo "---------- BACKING-UP ONTO TAPE-CHUNK \
         $chunk `hostname`:${filesystem} ----------" >>$log_file 2>&1
      # /sbin/dump 0uf /dev/nst0 $filesystem >>$log_file 2>&1
      /sbin/dump 0uBf 2500000 /dev/nst0 $filesystem >>$log_file 2>&1
   done

   /bin/mt -f /dev/nst0 offline   #So, you should insert a weekly backup-tape
on Saturday.

--
Jim Burt, NJ9L,		Fairfax, Virginia, USA
jameson@mnsinc.com	http://www.mnsinc.com/jameson

"A poor man associating with a rich man will soon be too poor
to buy even a pair of breeches."                   --Chinese Proverb