Re: Dselect; Finnish kbd; Imagemagick problem

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, per_adua32 wrote:

> Question 1:
>
> I read "Debian User's Guide Edition 2" and therein
> it is said that after one has selected the packages
> one wishes to install it may be necessary to run the
> installation step "over again until all the packages
> are installed."
>
> I wonder if someone could tell me how I would know
> whether or not all the packages had been installed.
> In other words how do I know when to re-run this section
> of Dselect and how many times to re-run it.

I think that the basic thing is to install first the base only and then
stop dselect and start it again for installing Xwin. After that you can
probably install easily other packages. (Basically you can install any
number of packages at once, but it seems, that dselect isn't able to know
beforehand all the selected packages and so the order of installing the
packages is a problem...(?)) That method worked in my case at least.

Anyway, I've got some problems left with my system. dselect didn't install
correctly Imagemagick. It was shown as being installed, but it wasn't
there. I used dpkg -i to install it at installed, but still it doesn't
work...
Anyone knows, what to do with this?

> Question 2:
>
> I live in Finland and have tried to map my keyboard to
> 'fi-latin1', using kbdconfig. It works pretty much as it
> should but it doesn't allow me to type the following
> characters:
> 		ä, Ä, ö, Ö, å, Å

I've got a finnish keyboard as well. It works ok. Maybe something special
with your keyboard... Did you specify it at installing time as fi-latin1
or did you try to 'kbdconfig' it afterwards?

hvirtane@cc.jyu.fi