Re: Dselect ...Finnish keyboard

per_adua32 wrote:

> Good Day (or night) everyone,
>
> I recently installed the base system of Debian,
> and intend soon to use Dselect to install the
> standard installation.
>
> Question 1:
>
> I read "Debian User's Guide Edition 2" and therein
> it is said that after one has selected the packages
> one wishes to install it may be necessary to run the
> installation step "over again until all the packages
> are installed."
>
> I wonder if someone could tell me how I would know
> whether or not all the packages had been installed.
> In other words how do I know when to re-run this section
> of Dselect and how many times to re-run it.
>
> Would I need to keep referring to /var/lib/dpkg or what ?

Nothing so complex, if packages are not installed becase of
predependancy problems etc then dselect will give you a message when you
run the install option, somthing like Wrning package X predepends on
Package Y. Dont panic as the guide suggests just run install again and
again untill you dont get any error messages at the end. Alternatively
instal the APT get method, set this up in the  chose acess method
option  then update the package lists and install. APT is dead smart and
will automaticaly sort out all the pre dependancy problems. IMHO
instelation on debian is by far the easiest of all lini\ux distros.
Pete