Re: xconfig, menuconfig

Hi Frederick,

> It does not work, I still get the message "no target". I also cannot
> locate any files with patterns "xconfig" or "menuconfig".
>
> I did install the kernel-package.
>
> I don't understand, what I'm doing wrong.

"kernel-package" and "kernel-source" are two different things.  You will
need a kernel source package.  The package "kernel-package" is used to
create a custom Debian package of the kernel you configure with "make
xconfig," for example.

All of the config targets (config, xconfig and menuconfig) are normally in
/usr/src/linux/Makefile.  This is what I have in /usr/src/linux:

COPYING         Makefile    debian/   init/    mm/       stamp-configure
CREDITS         README      drivers/  ipc/     modules/  stamp-image
Documentation/  Rules.make  fs/       kernel/  net/
MAINTAINERS     arch/       include/  lib/     scripts/

when you run "make xconfig" the "make" program will by default read the
file "Makefile" and search for a target called "xconfig."  If you don't
have a Makefile then you will need to download a Linux kernel source
package, preferrably from Debian.

Note that you will need to have run X running and be logged in as root if
you want to do an xconfig.  The others config and menuconfig don't need X
but also require you to be logged in as root.

Here are some of the kernel-source packages available in the unstable
distribution "potato":

__ Opt devel    kernel-sourc <none>      2.0.33-10   Linux kernel source.
__ Opt devel    kernel-sourc <none>      2.0.34-4    Linux kernel source.
__ Opt devel    kernel-sourc <none>      2.0.35-3    Linux kernel source.
__ Opt devel    kernel-sourc <none>      2.0.36-1    Linux kernel source.
__ Opt devel    kernel-sourc <none>      2.1.125-1   Linux kernel source.

Use the kernel source packages available in whatever Debian distribution
you have.

Let me/us know if you still have problems.

-Ossama