Re: Warning on mounting partitions: automate e2fsck?

Hi

> automatically runs e2fsck on the root partition.  However, I mount
> several other partitions automatically via fstab, and on those I will
> after foo number of mounts get a warning that the drive should be
> checked.  However, it's a pain to switch to runlevel 1 and manually
> check all those partitions.
>
> Why should I have to?  Why can't the same process (init?) that
> autochecks the root partition, just automatically check the others
> instead of warning me?

Does your /etc/fstab entry for those filesystems have the fsck-pass entry
defined?

For example, in my /etc/fstab file I have:

#
/dev/sda1               /               ext2    defaults    1       1
/dev/sda2               none            swap    sw          0       0
/dev/sda3               none            swap    sw          0       0
proc                /proc           proc    defaults    0       0
/dev/sda5 /usr ext2 rw 1 2
/dev/sda6 /tmp ext2 rw 1 2
/dev/sda7 /export/home/fuzzy ext2 rw 1 2

Notice that my last 3 filesystems are marked "pass 2" meaning that they
will get checked second, i.e. after the root filesystem.  From what I
recall, those filesystems always get checked automatically for me.  Make
sure you don't have a zero "0" in the "pass" column of your filesystem(s).
Swap and proc never get checked for obvious reasons.

-Ossama