Re: compiling

mcclosk@ling.ucsc.edu Writes..

> For me the problem was solved very easily---I installed libc6-dev from
> the Debian 2.0 CD. This completely reorganized /usr/include/ and the
> kernel-compilation problems then disappeared.

OK I already had this installed on both Debian 2.0 machines here. But I
decided to remove it to see what happens. Errors still occured.

So I re-installed libc6-dev package to put things back as they were before.

Now without doing anything else, I tried another compile of 2.0.36 source.
And blow me over, it compiled OK :-)

So I tried several times just to be sure it wasn't a fluke. And each time it
compiled OK !

So removing this package and re-installing it has perhaps solved my problem.

Maybe something in /usr/include wasn't right at upgrade time, and by doing
this it has repaired itself.

Either way I am a much happier bunny at the moment :-)

I now plan to do the same on the other 2.0 box (purge and re-install) and
see what happens with tht one.

Least I can compile 2.0.36 on one machine now - Tis a start :)

As for *some* of the other source, like all good FAQ, the Debian one has
helped provide an answer for some of my 'older' source.

I can compile (some) of the broken code by doing...

PATH=/usr/i486-linuxlibc1/bin:$PATH make <target>

I guess some of this code must like '5' more than '6' :-)

Still, I am getting there!

Now if only I can sort the last machine out the same, I will be rockin :)

--
Nidge Jones