Re: Kernel Compile

I posted this once, but am not sure if it went OK.... As I am still getting
requests for the info below ??

The problem with kernel compiles is as follows...

The 'make dep' and 'make clean' go OK. But upon the 'make zImage' this is
what happens...

 make zImage

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strength-reduce -pipe -m486 -DCPU=486  -c -o
init/main.o init/main.c
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strength-reduce -pipe -m486 -DCPU=486
-DUTS_MACHINE='"i386"' -c -o init/version.o init/version.c
set -e; for i in kernel drivers mm fs net ipc lib arch/i386/kernel
arch/i386/mm
arch/i386/lib; do make -C $i; done
make[1]: Entering directory /usr/src/linux/kernel'
make all_targets
make[2]: Entering directory /usr/src/linux/kernel'
updating /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strength-reduce -pipe -m486 -DCPU=486
-DMODVERSIONS -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c ksyms.c
ksyms.c:93: macro basic_version' used with just one arg
ksyms.c:214: macro basic_version' used with just one arg
ksyms.c:386: macro basic_version' used with just one arg
ksyms.c:93: et_module_symbol' undeclared here (not in a function)
ksyms.c:93: initializer element for ymbol_table.symbol[2].addr' is not
constant
ksyms.c:214:
ake_request' undeclared here (not in a function)
ksyms.c:214: initializer element for ymbol_table.symbol[85].addr' is not
constant
ksyms.c:386: ys_read' undeclared here (not in a function)
ksyms.c:386: initializer element for ymbol_table.symbol[204].addr' is not
constant
make[2]: *** [ksyms.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory /usr/src/linux/kernel'
make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory /usr/src/linux/kernel'
make: *** [linuxsubdirs] Error 2

I have also downloaded, installed and tried the kernel-package from Debian's
site. But exactly the same error occurs at exactley the same point! So this
doesn't help me at all !

Under 1.3.1 I had no problems what so ever, I did indeed do many kernel
compiles OK. It is only since upgrading to 2.0 that kernel compiles (any
compiles in fact) have become broken.

I really really have a need now to produce a new kernel, with some
additional bits added, but am unable to do so because of the above
errors :-(

I have been at the keys for about 2 days solid now on this, and just run out
of idea's. Looks like the week-end is going to be spent re-intalling 1.3.1
from Tape backup, which I really really really do not want to do !

Whatsmore the Debian box sitting next to this one does exactley the same,
same error, same place. So I can't even compile on that one and copy the
image over :-(

I am fed up and pissed off with it all now. Debian 1.3.1 was such a kewl
tool to use, best Linux I ever seen (used Slackware for years, and played
with Redhat from time to time). Yet my upgrade to 2.0 has now made it the
sucky'est tool I have ever used.

What did I do wrong ! Why will nothing compile !

If someone (anyone), could pleeeeese hint what the above errors mean, and
what *may* be broken here, I would be more than grateful.

Beg, grovel, grovel, beg, plead !

Many many many many thanks in advance.

--
Nidge Jones