Mathematics 3.0 and Debian 2.0

I am having a lot of trouble getting Mathematica 3.0 to work under
Debian 2.0. I have installed it in the past on both Slakware and RedHat
systems and
have never had problems before, so I am a little confused as to what
could be
going wrong.

The front end (Notebook) interface works well, but the kernel exits with

a seg violation when it is run via the math command or from the notebook
front end.

I have the libc5 stuff installed, although that shouldnt make a
difference as Mathematica is statically linked against libc5 ..

I really need to resolve this soon or I will have to go back to Redhat ,

something I really would rather not do. .

Any hints?