Re: Alternative to xntp?

*- Dale E. Martin wrote about "Alternative to xntp?"

> I've got the following problem.  I have ADSL and in general my Cisco 675
> router doesn't forward udp packets from one subnet to the other.  I know
> how to configure it to on a per session basis, but that's a pain because
> I'd have to configure the router every time it connects.
>
> So, my question is if there's an alternative to xntp that uses tcp instead
> of udp.
>
> Thanks,
> 	Dale

Look at netdate in the netstd package.

I use the following in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/setclock
#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/netdate tcp widget
/sbin/hwclock --adjust
/sbin/hwclock --systohc

and the top of the man page:

NETDATE(8L)                                           NETDATE(8L)

NAME
       netdate - set date and time by ARPA Internet RFC 868

SYNOPSIS
       netdate [ -v ] [ -l limit ] [ protocol ] hostname...

DESCRIPTION
       Netdate  takes  a list of names of Internet hosts as argu­
       ments, selects the one which supplies the best  time,  and
       sets the system time accordingly.  The invoker must be the
       super-user for the time to be set.  Protocol names (either
       udp  or  tcp) may be interspersed with the host names, and
       determine the protocol which will be used  to  connect  to
       the hosts whose names follow, up to the next protocol name
       or the end of the arguments.  The default protocol is udp.

--
Brian
							   - unknown

Mechanical Engineering                                bservis@usa.net