Re: nVidia TNT help!!

Hi, Ian!

I don't really have any good advice for you, other than "keep trying".  You
may try download different Xserver binary from ftp.suse.com (unless they are
all gone after X3.3.3 release).  Try to make your card work in normal VGA
640x480 mode.  Of course it's not usable but it'll give you some relief.

I still have xnvidia-980118.tgz from earlier days and I made Viper 330 work
with it.  Would you be interested in this file?  I can put it on the Web for
you.

Do you have Diamond Viper 550?  I think you have to succeed then, but I never
installed this card by myself.  Or is it just some card with Nvidia chipset?
Then read documentation coming with Xserver, your card may not be supported :(
 Recently I tried to install some video card (one of those cards in white box
without any indication which company actually produced it), which had Nvidia
chipset in it, did not work for me.

> I have tried and tried to get this Riva TNT video card up but I cannot.
> what I've done:
> 1) D/L'ed the binary XF86_SVGA server version 3.3.3 and put it in
>    /usr/bin/X11/.  (I was using this server with the S3V card earlier
>    today.)
That a right location.

> 2) Configured my xf86config (3.3.2) for the Riva128 (Diamond Viper330
>    although mine is a 550) because the thread in -user earlier said to do
>    this. I did not select a RAMDAC or use a clocks line.
I think you are right about RAMDAC and clock line.

> When I run startx the screen goes blank, as if the server is running but
> not displaying anything.  If I do a Ctrl-Alt-Bksp the server dies and I
> get my console back.

There may be some error message when you run startx, look for it it can give
you a clue.

Sasha.