Re: RH vs Debian (Switch to Red Hat ?)

I started linuxing with RH, went to SuSE and then to debian. RH was quite
easy to install, SuSE had some difficulties. I changed to SuSE because of
added demo versions of programs and more packages than in RH. In general I
found SuSE having better quality than RH and 'yast' (yet another setup
tool) is in my opinion a very nice way of administrating the system. Never
had any problems with SuSE after installing, but I changed into debian
because of nicer ideology behind the distribution and also wanted lib6.

I'm now happy with debian. I see no reason to change back to RH or SuSE.

Debian installation manual is maybe one thing we could try to develop
together using this list? (SuSE manual is simply excellent.) Somehow I
wanted a little better guided rules in which order to put up the system
(especially x, printing system, network...)

One problem, which I have now, is as follows:

I've got KDE and it works well, but I wanted to run sometimes wmaker as
well, because of less memory used. I'm using kdm to start x and then it is
showing kde starting screen with options to start fvwm, wmaker etc
windowmanagers installed, but I cannot start but kde. Which are the
various conf files I had to change? (If I use switchdm and try to start
xdm, it doesn't work.)

hvirtane@cc.jyu.fi