Re: linux instalation: error activating swap partition

On Wed, Jan 13, 1999 at 12:49:29PM +0000, Ulrich Gruen mails again wrote:
Hi Ulrich,

> The problem: When I try to activate the swap-partition, I get the
> following error message: "The swap partition /dev/hda1 could not be
> activated: Device or resource busy"
if the device is busy it is already up,
You do not need to mount a swap partition handy.
Have a Look to the boot-messages it will show You a line like:
 pmurmel kernel: Adding Swap: 63756k swap-space (priority -1)
You can scroll the bootmessages on the text-console via
press :
<shift> <pgUp>,   <shift> <pgDown>

or have a look to the file '/etc/fstab'
there must be a entry like:
/dev/sda5             none       swap    sw         0     0
but remember:
if You configuring the System it will be added automatically,
normally You don't must do this Yourself, the system does it for
You, ;)

the "partition-philosophy" much depend's on Your personally
needs and, of course, of the MB's or GB's You will reserve
for Unix.

cYa
--
   Peter