linux instalation: error activating swap partition

Dear helpful person.

I have a problem with the installation of linux, and I hope that you
can help me. I tried to install Debian linux, with the help of
cfdisk.txt and the "Installing Debian Linux 2.0 For x86" guide. I try
to install with floppies. I have an i386-25 MHz and 4MB RAM, and I'm
using lowmem.bin

At this point I've repartitioned the dev/hda (harddisk) with cfdisk.
Now, I have the following partitions:
Partition 1: type 82 (linuxSwap), 32 MB;
Partition 2: type 81 (Minix), 4 MB;
partition 3: type 83(linux), 300 MB;
partition 4.: type 4(?) (dos fat 16), ~ 70 MB;

I have toggled a bootable flag to partition 3.

The problem: When I try to activate the swap-partition, I get the
following error message: "The swap partition /dev/hda1 could not be
activated: Device or resource busy"

! At this moment, linux isn't installed yet. !

Do you know how to solve this problem? (or is there
better information at Debian.org  available how to partition and
activate?) I have very little knowledge about computer conficuration.

I would be very grateful if you could help me with this problem.

Yours Ulrich

****************Signature below*********************
Ulrich Gruen
Utrecht University
Faculty of Chemistry
Department of Science, Technology and Society (NW&S)
 (room B203)
Padualaan 14
3584 CH  UTRECHT
The Netherlands

Phone: +31-30-2537615
FAX  : +31-30-2537601
Mailto:U.J.P.Grun@chem.uu.nl

WWW homepage of the Department Of Sience, Technology and Society
http://www.chem.ruu.nl/nws/www/nws.html

If a fiddler played you a song my love,
and if I gave you a wheel.
Would you spin for my heart and loneliness,
would you spin for my love.

If I gave up all of my pride for you,
and only loved you for now.
Would you hide my fears and never say,
Tomorrow I must go.

Everywhere, there's rain my love.
Everywhere, there's fear.

If you tell me a lie, I'll cry for you.
Tell me of sin and I'll laugh.
If you tell me of all the pain you've had,
I'll never smile again.

Everywhere there's rain my love.
Every where there's fear.

I can plainly see that our parts have changed.
Our sands are shifted around.
Need I beg to you for one more day,
to find our lonely love.

Everywhere there's rain my love.
Everywhere there's fear.

     Phantasmagoria in Two (Tim Buckley, 1967)