Re: Soundblaster under Debian 2.0

Ramesh Natarajan <nram@rocketmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I just installed Debian 2.0 and compiled kernal (2.0.34) with Sound as
> module. I seem to get something working, but not all. I configured my
> /etc/isapnp.conf, did a isapnptools /etc/isapnp.conf followed by
> $insmod sound trace_init=1. On dmesg, I see
>    Sound initialization started
>    <Sound Blaster 16 (4.16)> at 0x220 irq 5 dma 0,5
>    <Yamaha OPL3 FM> at 0x388
>    Sound initialization complete
>
> when I do cat /dev/sndstat, I see
> Card config:
>    Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 0,5
>    (SB MPU-401 irq 1 drq 0)
>    OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0
>
> Iam able to play CD using workman. When I cat some .au to /dev/audio,
> (or when I try saytime) I get no sound. I get no error either. When I do
> rvplayer welcome.rm, I get some error like "Codec not
> installed/Compression not supported".
>
> >From what I see in HOWTO, looks like I have MPU stuff not enabled. Is
> this a problem? I donot have MPU 401 support enabled in make config
> (going by help text)
>
> I used to have RedHat 5.1 with sound working like sweat (using
> sndconfig). Is there a similar tool under debian? (just wanted to be a
> GNU purist for a while :)

No; unfortunately there isn't such an easy sound configuration tool
(anyone want to take apart RedHat's? - and while we're at it, compile
sound as a module in the default kernel?).  However, I have sound
working on my machine, on my PnP Soundblaster clone.  I too get the
MPU thing enclosed in ()'s, so that in and of itself isn't your
problem.  What does the rest of cat /dev/sndstat say?  (specifically,
does it list an "audio device"?  What does it say about installed
drivers?)  Add a NAME section to your isapnp.conf right before the
"(ACT Y)" thing, like this:
  (NAME "SoundCard")
  (ACT Y)
)
And then make certain that the VERBOSITY setting at the top of
isapnp.conf is at least 2.  This should make isapnp spit out
information about the card after configuring it - make certain this
information matches what your kernel thinks about your card.

> Thats my main Qn. I have few more :)
>
> 1) I can do startx only as root. Not as any other user. I get some error
> like "xlib: conncecion refused by server". If I run xdm, I can log on as
> any user though.

This one is easy.  Look at the file /etc/X11/Xserver.  Read what it
says.

> 2) When I try make xconfig for kernal config, I cannot select any of the
> y/m/n options. I can input all text fields (like irq, IO) though.

Wierd.