Soundblaster under Debian 2.0

Hi,

I just installed Debian 2.0 and compiled kernal (2.0.34) with Sound as
module. I seem to get something working, but not all. I configured my
/etc/isapnp.conf, did a isapnptools /etc/isapnp.conf followed by
$insmod sound trace_init=1. On dmesg, I see
   Sound initialization started
   <Sound Blaster 16 (4.16)> at 0x220 irq 5 dma 0,5
   <Yamaha OPL3 FM> at 0x388
   Sound initialization complete

when I do cat /dev/sndstat, I see
Card config:
   Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 0,5
   (SB MPU-401 irq 1 drq 0)
   OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0

Iam able to play CD using workman. When I cat some .au to /dev/audio,
(or when I try saytime) I get no sound. I get no error either. When I do
rvplayer welcome.rm, I get some error like "Codec not
installed/Compression not supported".

>From what I see in HOWTO, looks like I have MPU stuff not enabled. Is
this a problem? I donot have MPU 401 support enabled in make config
(going by help text)

I used to have RedHat 5.1 with sound working like sweat (using
sndconfig). Is there a similar tool under debian? (just wanted to be a
GNU purist for a while :)

Thats my main Qn. I have few more :)

1) I can do startx only as root. Not as any other user. I get some error
like "xlib: conncecion refused by server". If I run xdm, I can log on as
any user though.

2) When I try make xconfig for kernal config, I cannot select any of the
y/m/n options. I can input all text fields (like irq, IO) though.

Thanks for your help,

Bye, nram                      nram@nram.virtualAve.net
|Linux Now             |             Ramesh Natarajan |
|http://www.kernel.org |   http://nram.virtualAve.net |
      In a world without fences, who needs Gates?
Television is the first truly democratic culture - the first culture
available to everybody and entirely governed by what the people
want. The most terrifying thing is what people do want.
-- Clive Barnes