Re: Type tags for Debian packages.

>> "MB" == Mitch Blevins <mblevin@mindspring.com> writes:

MB> For example:
MB> I have an X11-based system administration tool.
MB> Should it go into X11/system or system/X11?
MB> I will leave more convoluted examples as an excercise for the reader.

They can go in both. You can assign a package to multiple virtual
locations. Other thing is: We have to set up a distinct amount of
locations (like this is done for the menu package).

MB> Could your idea be implemented without having to modify all the
MB> packages?  Maybe as a seperately maintained index?

This has advantages, but who will maintain it? Who will have the power
to edit a (to someone misplaced) entry.

The approach he suggested is incremental. It does work most
efficiently, when all packages define _one_ new line in the control
file. If they don't, the system would sort them into <section>/misc
(or such). Them a mass wishlist bugreport is sent to the developers
asking to provide the line in their packages (like it was done for the
doc-base suggestion). We ocasionally do release now versions don't we
;-)

So when time passes, the packages will move from /misc to better
locations.

Ciao,
	Martin