Where's my hard drive?

Greets,
   I have been trying to install Debian for about a month now but each time the same thing happens: for some reason it doesn't think I have a hard drive.  I know that I do, and I've de-partitioned it so that all I have is a 20 MB DOS partition with DOS installed on it so that I can run the install program.  My computer does not support CD booting, so I have to either run the BOOT.BAT file or boot it off of the boot disk that I made with rawrite and the binary file that's on the CD.
   If I could just get it to figure out that I do, infact, have a hard drive then I could install it with no problems at all.  But since it won't, I can't even partition the hard drive correctly or install it.  I believe that the error message it brings up when I try to make a partition with the install program is somthing like this:

   Cannot find a hard drive device, please make sure that all of your hard drives cables are securley in place and hooked up correctly.

   And then if I try to mount a partition (which I know is rather usless, but I tried it anyway) is sends me a message that goes somthing like this:

   Cannot find any unused <a few partition types> partitions to mount.  Please make some.

   Both of those error messages were worded differently in the real message, but they're basicly the same thing.  Also, the only partitioning program I have other then the install program on the CD is the one that comes with DOS 6.22 which only handles DOS partitions, so I can't really do anything with that.  If there is any DOS program that does partitioning for both DOS and Linux partitions then you can just tell me where to get it and that will most likley solve my problem.

   Thanks!!!

--Nathan Vegdahl