Re: Getting KDE up and running.

In a message dated 1/10/99 10:47:00 PM Central Standard Time,
frodo@ccs.neu.edu writes:

> > 1) Renamed /user/X11/bin/xdm to old.xdm and created a link from
>  > /usr/local/kde/bin/kdm to xdm in it's place.  According to the KDE docs,
> this
>  > is no problem - and in practice, it works like a champ.
>
>  Remember that if you ever upgrade your xbase package (planning on moving
>  to slink when it comes out?) that it will blow away kdm to replace it with
>  the new version of xdm.

That is a good point - but is there another way to do it?  I could set up a
start-kdm line in config, but wouldn't that also get overridden?

>  > 3) Edited /etc/X11/window-managers and put /usr/local/kde/bin/kwm as the
> first
>  > line.  This brings up kwm when X starts the window managers.
>  >
>  > 5) Edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xstartup_0 and right before the 'exit 0' statement,
> added
>  > all of the lines from the startkde script, except the 'kwm' line (since
> kwm
>  > was already started).  These lines start all the KDE applications after
> the
>  > user logs in.
>
>  I don't think you should do it this way.  Assume for a moment that you
>  machine will have more than one user, and possibly one of your users wants
>  to run another window environment like Window Maker or Afterstep.  The kde
>  clients would still get run.  Plus (this is a biggie) you'll notice, if
>  you read the Xstartup and Xstartup_0 files, that THEY ARE RUN AS ROOT!  Do
>  you really want all your users to be running kfm with root privilages?
>  That would be BAD.

I see your're point... but..

* If I don't run the programs from Xstartup, where do I run them from?  This
was the only way I could find to run programs after xdm logs in.  I could put
them in xsession I suppose, but wouldn't that cause the same problem?

* I first thought that kfm was the file manager, but it isn't - when I didn't
run it I couldn't run any applications, and I didn't get any icons on the
desktop (trash and such).

* My system is a single user system, so I really am not worried about multi-
user options - but other's might be, and it is a good point to not run things
as root unless you need to.

I'm certianly open to other options, but I've spent a good week trying to get
this to work and this was the only way I found to do it.  Are there options I
didn't find that would work better?